As the referendum approaches, we’ve been analysing the tweets of over 330k active Scottish tweeters.
Looking at the conversations taking place in the Scottish Twittersphere in August, we found that the ‘Yes’ campaign was finding huge success leveraging social media to build support and get voters excited about backing them in the referendum.
This week, we looked at the tweets over the last 30 days to see how the conversation has been evolving before the big day.
Have the ‘No’ camp turned the tide on social? Not quite, but they’re gaining ground…
The Top 50 hashtags
- The referendum has continued to dominate Scottish people’s twitter timelines. All of the top 12 most shared hashtags were about the vote (counting #scotland)
- Some ‘No’ hashtags have started climbing the table but there are still just 3 in the top 20
- There are 6 pro-Yes’ hashtags in the top 20
- The top Yes hashtag (#VoteYes) was tweeted 166k times in the last 30 days
- The top No hashtags (#BetterTogether) was tweeted just 23k times
- Mentions of The Ice Bucket Challenge, Scotland vs Germany and even the new series of Doctor Who were all eclipsed by the referendum debate
The Big Debate Nears its Conclusion
The most tweets in a day from this audience is still 690k on August 5th (the first Darling/Salmond debate). But the average number of tweets has been increasing before the vote from 490k in August per day to 510k over the last 7 days.
PeerIndex is equity crowdfunding!
Join our community of angels and become an investor in the future of social intelligence.